Wednesday, June 28, 2023

The Gift of Pennies




Positive Pensées


Kathy King

The Gift of Pennies


“So don’t pass by that penny, when you’re feeling blue. It may be a penny from heaven, that an Angel has passed to you.”.

Charles Marshburn


Pennies. 

Most people overlook these small coins.

After all, what does one cent mean to anyone?

A penny can’t buy you much.

But a penny can help you in a crunch.

A penny may be the one cent that you need, to pay for a purchase of the items you need.  

A penny can help a fellow human to get the last few coins to make an otherwise impossible purchase. 

A penny may be an antiquated notion today ,but let’s think about the penny and what it was meant to convey.

Some used to ask, “A penny for your thoughts?” To inquire about  a person who looked pensive and did not have the desire to share their struggles of life.

So be like a penny each and every day.  You could contribute to their life in a small way. 

To uplift, to propel, to encourage each person to reach their full potential, their shiny penny that they are intended to be.  



A penny is rarely if ever used these days.  This is the time of digital currency.  I can’t help but confess that I get a small feeling of giddiness when I find a penny on the ground.  I always pick it up.  My mother used to tell me that when I found a random penny it meant that God was thinking about me or an Angel had passed my way.  Each time I found that penny I would look up in the sky and say a small prayer of thanks. Before life was more cashless I can remember many situations where that penny enabled me to make the purchase that I needed to make.  If we were to take that concept into human life, how can you be a penny to someone?  Recently, my husband and I attended a funeral for a woman who had a long and fulfilling life.  She gave her “pennies” to children in her area.  During the quite amazing Methodist little old lady grief fest after the funeral, my husband and I sat beside a school teacher.  As our conversation continued, he shared with us that recently he had a former student come to him and thank him.  He asked why, she said that one day she came to school for “one last time” before going home to commit suicide.  He saw that she was forlorn and took her aside to say, “I see that you are down, you are worth it, you are smart, you are a great student to me.” She shared that these simple words changed her mind about committing suicide that day.  Basically, she is alive because he took a few moments to tell her that she was deserving.  Such a small gesture, but he was a penny to her that day.  Never underestimate how much your words mean to someone else who is struggling.  Be a penny.  Give a little. Those deposits will climb over time and spill over onto others.  



1 comment:

The Gift of People Watching

Image Courtesy of Canva Pro The Gift of People Watching Kathy King "It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words wit...