Friday, September 15, 2023

The Gift of Care

Care... concern... we need it.  a lot
Photo credit:  My husband


Positive Pensées


Kathy King

The Gift of Care


“To make a difference in someone’s life, you don’t have to be brilliant, rich, beautiful or perfect.  You just have to care.”

Unknown


Caring, concern, fondness, inclination.

Are all words that mean care in different iterations.

Some folks need to cast their cares by having a talk.

Others need to be given care, particularly when life gets too hard. 

Look around you, look outside of yourself. 

There are people truly hurting and indeed in need of help. 

Find them, help them, give them prayers. 

Help them understand that when things are too hard to bear.

You can have a friend, a listening ear, or a helping hand. 

Let us help others make their life grand. 


I started this  Pensée last year.  Seriously.  I never finished it.  There are some days my brain never turns off.  Others, well….  It is like a deep cave with echo! Echo!  Echo!  I have been sharing my health struggles with many of you recently.  I have been in and out of the hospital.  To top it off, well… one of my kids is moving across the pond with his family.  I am glad, sad, verklempt.. You name it.  Last night, I watched on a loop videos of my little grand girl singing and being her boisterous self.  I sobbed and cried.  I lamented once again that we are indeed, empty nesters.  It was quite the pitiful perfection.  I have successfully dug myself into a full blown pity party.  I am not kidding.  I am upset that I am the one that needs care at the moment.  I am usually the one caring for others. It has been hard to let go.  I go back to one of my other  Pensée’s that I wrote a while back.  I talked about how I believe that life could be one big tea party.  I was so terribly wrong.  Life is finding those blessings, pulling out of the pit when you know you cannot go on anymore.  I often think of the old hymn, “Count Your Blessings.”  The verse says, “When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed. When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost. Count your many blessings, name them one by one.  Count your many blessings, see what God has done. The verse in this hymn that really speaks to me today is: So amid the conflict, whether great or small. Do not be discouraged God is over all; Count your many blessings Angels will attend.  Help and comfort give you till your journey’s end. Surely, through everything that life can throw at us we can find a single blessing, right?  While yes, I will and we will struggle.  Let us give it a try, right?  I love history.  Yesterday I was reading about all the failures of Abraham Lincoln.  He failed in business at 21.  He was defeated in politics at 22.  He failed at yet another business at 24.  His sweetheart died at 26.  He had a nervous breakdown at 27. He lost two more political races at 34 and 45.  He failed at a bid to be vice president at 47.  Finally, at the age of 52 he became president.  He also, very sadly, lost not one, but two children.  I would say.  He never gave up.  We don’t have to be Lincoln. However, in the words of Theodore Roosevelt: “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” 


Show that you care.  Let others care for you.  It will lead to great rewards in the end. 

 


1 comment:

  1. What beautiful thoughts even when life is batting you around.

    ReplyDelete

The Gift of People Watching

Image Courtesy of Canva Pro The Gift of People Watching Kathy King "It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words wit...