Sunday, November 26, 2023

The Gift of It Goes On


Photo Credit: My husband
Positive Pensées


Kathy King


The Gift of It Goes On


“In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.”

Robert Frost


Has life ever really stopped?

Has everything come to a halt?

I would wager to say, not at all.

The world keeps on spinning and night turns into day.

The clouds move, the weather changes each and every day.

If life keeps moving at a steady pace. 

What must we do in this wondrous place?

Yes, life has bouts of mundane. 

But at other times you can experience and do things that are quite great.

What can you do?

How can you pray?

What bits of goodness to your soul can you add each day?

Can you take a moment and have some thankfulness?

Consistency, discipline, do your very best. 

If you get stuck in the mire and soil your spiritual boots.

Pick those feet up, wipe off the dirt and keep taking steps.

Travel that road that is less taken as the poet conveys.

Because dear reader, life does keep going at its destined pace. 


Robert Frost wrote many beautiful poems in his time. One of which became quite famous. It is called: “The Road Not Taken.” He talks about two roads converging on a hill. He wished he could have taken both but he decided to take the road less taken. The one that was less traveled by. In the end the poem points out that he is glad he did such an act. Why? Well, of course there are many scholars who have different takes on this poem. I would wager that the road less taken means that in those moments when no one is looking, we still take the narrow path or road. If you think about it, people see our big decisions. They are: who we marry, where we live, what we choose to do for our vocation. These days, sadly… what political direction you choose to take. As an aside, does anyone remember when politics and religion were discussed but… it was rare and it was respectful? Good times. Back to the subject at hand. The path or road less traveled is that of what small decisions are you making each day that are less traveled. Would you rather take the easy way or the way that may require lots of discipline? I have a confession. There are times that I loathe discipline. Loathe. There have been times when I have gone out of my way to do as little as possible. I see discipline in my sons. They are all soldiers. They have to get up at weird hours, hurry up and wait, run, lift things, do physical labor, etc.. There are times they do all of this before the sun comes up. Well, that did start to creep into my conscience.  After much thought and the example of loved ones around me I decided to take a different approach; I needed discipline. When my kids were at home there was plenty to fill my time. Now that our house is empty… well… I need to really focus my time and efforts on the path that is narrow and less traveled. Which in a nutshell is discipline. Those little choices, the little paths. They determine the quality of our attitude and our life. I was aware of this narrow path for many years. In many ways I took the road less traveled. But on this journey of  Pensées what can be done that is better? There are times when life tempts us to stay in the muck. Sometimes staying in the muck is required to get to the dry and clean space. If you find yourself in the muck, keep picking up those feet, keep trudging through. After you have dusted and cleaned off your boots take a moment and reflect. When that road presents itself to you again. Take that path that is less traveled. Sometimes the terrain may be hilly, sometimes you might trip over the roots and rocks. You might even fall and have to dust off your knees. In the end, you will have learned, grown, healed, developed some much needed strength to travel your next path. I leave you with the ending of the Poem: “I took the one less traveled by, and that made all the difference.” Robert Frost


My books are on Amazon!


The Quacktastic Adventures of Ellie and Lord Barks a Lot

The Case of the Missing Moo-Cow Bell

The Case of the Missing Bumbly Wumbly Bee

The Case of the Missing Wellies

The Case of the Missing Honk Honk

The Case of the Missing Ornaments


Clean it Up! Wash it Up!


Coming Soon:

Appalachian Allegory: A Southern Novel



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Gift of People Watching

Image Courtesy of Canva Pro The Gift of People Watching Kathy King "It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words wit...